Dr. Ushma Ahuja
Assistant Professor, Department of Electrical Engineering
B. E. (Electrical), M. Tech (Electrical Engineering - Power Systems)
Areas of Specialization
Power System, Photovoltaic, Artificial Intelligence Techniques, Engineering of novel materials for use in solar cells, Renewable energy
Academic and Professional Qualification:
- Ph.D. (Engineering),
PhD Topic: Electronic properties of some materials for solar energy applications in electrical engineering
- M.E. (Power System & Control)
- B.E. (Electrical Engineering)
Honors and Awards:
- Selected for Department of Science and Technology’s INSPIRE Fellowship (DST-INSPIRE). It is a prestigious fellowship given to a few selected post graduate university toppers by MHRD, New Delhi.
- Secured First Rank and Gold Medal at University level in post graduate studies.
- Best poster award (II) for paper presentation in ‘National Seminar on Advances in Material Science and Technology-2012’ organised by Gujarat University, Ahmadabad (Feb’12).
Memberships of Professional bodies:
Life member of Indian Society for Radiation Physics
Various Bachelor, Master and doctoral course-work level subjects like:
1. Design, Management & Auditing of Electrical Systems
2. Protection in Power System
3. High Performance Electric Drives
4. Basic Electronics
5. Research Methodology
6. Electricity Act 2003
7. High Voltage DC Transmission
8. Electrical Machines-Lab
10. Renewable Energy
11. Numerical Techniques
12. Switchgear and Protection
13. Electronics Workshop
Teaching experience: 2.5 years (total)
- Sardar Patel College of Engineering, Mumbai: Assistant Professor (Electrical Engineering) from 13th July 2015 to 31st December 2015
- Veermata Jijabai Technological Institute, Mumbai: Assistant Professor (Electrical Engineering) From 1st Jan 2016 to 31st May 2016
- Veermata Jijabai Technological Institute, Mumbai: Assistant Professor (Electrical Engineering) from 1st July 2016 to 31st May 2017
- NMIMS Mumbai: Assistant Professor (Electrical Engineering) since 29th June’ 2017 till date
Worked as Commercial Executive (Purchase) at Hindustan Zinc Limited (Vedanta Resources PLC) from 13th July 2009 to 13th September 2010
Photovoltaic cell materials, Distributed generation allocation and sizing using AI
Research & Publications
- Alpa Dashora, Ushma Ahuja and K. Venugopalan, “Electronic and Optical Properties of MoS2 thin films: Feasibility for Solar cells” Computational Materials Science (Elsevier), Vol. 69, pp. 216-221, 2013.
- Ushma Ahuja, Alpa Dashora, Harpal Tiwari, Dushyant C. Kothari and K. Venugopalan, “Electronic and optical properties of MoS2-WS2 multilayers: First principles study”, Computational Materials Science (Elsevier), Vol. 92, pp. 451-456, 2014.
- N. L. Heda and Ushma Ahuja, “Electronic properties and Compton scattering studies of monoclinic tungsten dioxide”, Radiation Physics and Chemistry (Elsevier), Vol. 106, pp. 33-39, 2015.
- Ushma Ahuja, Ritu Joshi, Dushyant C. Kothari, Harpal Tiwari and K. Venugopalan, “Optical response of mixed molybdenum dichalcogenides for solar cell applications using modified Becke-Johnson potential,” Z. Naturforsch. A. (Verlag, Germany), Vol. 71, Issue 3, pp. 213-223, 2016.
- Ushma Ahuja and Alpa Dashora, “Optical properties of (0001) MoS2 thin film” Solid State Phenomena (TransTech Publications, Switzerland) vol. 209, pp. 90, 2013.
- Ushma Ahuja, Kishor Kumar, Ritu Joshi and N.L. Heda, “Electronic properties of mixed molybdenum dichalcogenide: LCAO calculations and Compton spectroscopy,” Physica B (Elsevier), Vol. 492, pp. 16-22, 2016.
- Samir Bhatt, Ushma Ahuja, Kishor Kumar and N.L. Heda, “Electronic response of rare-earth magnetic refrigeration compounds GdX2 (X=Fe and Co), Physica B (Elsevier), in print, 2018.
- Ushma Ahuja, “Feasibilty of ZnSiAs2 for use in solar cells”, Proc. 102nd Indian Science Congress, Engineering Section, 2015.
- Alpa Dashora, S. Gupta, D.C. Kothari and Ushma Ahuja, “Co-Sn co-doped CuAlS2: Possibility for Photovoltaic Applications”, Proc. International Conf. on Energy Materials, Sathyabhama University, Tamil Nadu, 2014.
- Ushma Ahuja, J. K. Maherchandani, Anil Swarnkar, Nikhil Gupta and K. R. Niazi, “Optimal Placement of Distribution System in Radial Distribution System,” Proc. National Conference on Power Electronics and Intelligent Control, Nov. 2012.
- Ushma Ahuja, Alpa Dashora and K. Venugopalan, "Viability of MoS2 and WS2 Thin Films in Solar Cells" in Technology Advances in Electrical and Renewable Energy Engineering (Proc. National Conference EREECON-2013) pp. 153-155, Feb. 2013, ISBN: 978-81-7906-325-5.
- Seema Meena, Amit Soni, Jagrati Sahariya and Ushma Ahuja, “Applicability of CdAl2Se4 in space radiation science: First-Principles investigations” in National Symposium of Radiation Physics-21, accepted for presentation in March, 2018.
- Ushma Ahuja, Kishore Kumar and N.L. Heda, “Compton profile and nature of bonding in anatase TiO2” in National Symposium of Radiation Physics-21, accepted for presentation in March, 2018.
- Ushma Ahuja, Ashok Kumawat, Jagrati Sahariya, Amit Soni, “Structural and Opto-electronic Modeling of Novel Photovoltaic ZnGa2(S,Se)4: First Principles Investigation” in National Symposium of Radiation Physics-21, accepted for presentation in March, 2018.
- Amit Soni, Jagrati Sahariya and Ushma Ahuja, “Revealing structural and opto-electronic performance of photosensitive chalcopyrite CdAl2Se4: First principle Modified Becke–Johnson (mBJ) observations”, in print, IEEE Conference Proceeding, ASET-2018, Dubai, 2018.
Official Email Id