The discipline of Mechanical Engineering is one the oldest and also the broadest branches of engineering. Over the years it has continually evolved to assimilate the advancements in physical sciences and now has delved into areas of composites, Mechatronics, Nanotechnology and 3D Printing.
The Department of Mechanical Engineering at MPSTME, Mumbai has implicit this changed paradigm and have designed the curriculum to meet the demands of the modern world. With a perfect mix of faculties from industry and academia, the curriculum encapsulates both the traditional and modern pedagogy.
Four year Full Time B.Tech. in the following disciplines with the intake mentioned against each is offered at the Mumbai Campus.
Mumbai campus – 60 Seats
What makes us different
- Modern facilities to provide ambience and support for curricula and extra curricula activities for the overall development of students.
- Dedicated, qualified faculty to ensure a high standard of Teaching, Learning and Evaluation processes.
- Periodic review and revision of curricula based on feedback from the industry with quick response to ensure the relevance of the programs to the changing needs of industry.
- Implementation of Project-based learning to improve the education pedagogy making students more employable in modern manufacturing industries
- Industry visits and industry based project work as part of the curricula, enhancing the Industry-Institute Interface
The course structures for various B.Tech. programs are given in subsequent pages, which are subject to review and revision by the Board of Studies in Engineering Sciences and approval of the Academic Council of the University.
- Fluid and Thermal Power Engineering
- Machine Design
- Manufacturing Engineering
- Finite Element Analysis
- Additive Manufacturing
To be a centre of excellence in Mechanical Engineering for education and research to create competent Mechanical Engineering graduates who can be employable in the industries and be part of innovation, research, problem solving and entrepreneurship to help mankind in particular and society in general.
- To impart quality education in the field of Mechanical Engineering to the students.
- To provide state of the art facilities to the students to enable them to learn, understand and apply fundamentals of Mechanical Engineering in solving engineering problems.
- Developing relevant curriculum of studies which will cater to the needs of industry and society.
- Promotion of team culture amongst students, faculties and staff to create conducive environment for better interaction with industries and collaborative research and development activities.
Board of Studies
- Dr. S.Y. Mhaiskar, (Internal Member) Professor & Dean, MPSTME (Mumbai Campus)
- Dr. Asha Ingle, (Internal Member), HOD (Mechanical), MPSTME (Mumbai Campus)
- Prof. A.C. Mehta, (Internal Member), Chairperson B.Tech (Integrated), MPSTME (Mumbai Campus)
- Dr. Dilpkumar Mahanty, (Internal Member), Professor, MPSTME (Mumbai Campus)
- Prof. Ravi Terkar, (Internal Member), Associate Professor, MPSTME (Mumbai Campus)
- Prof. B. J. Desai, (Internal Member), Associate Professor, MPSTME (Mumbai Campus)
- Mr.Rajesh Patil, (Internal Member), Associate Professor, MPSTME (Mumbai Campus)
- Mr. Vishal Fegde, (Internal Member), HOD (Mechanical), MPSTME (Shirpur Campus)
- Prof. Sudhir Chaurey, (Internal Member), Associate Professor,MPSTME (Shirpur Campus)
- Prof. Rakesh Chowdhari, (Internal Member), Associate Professor, MPSTME (Shirpur Campus)
- Dr. Hari Vasudevan, (External Member), Principal, D.J.Sanghavi College of Engineering
- Mr. Pramod Jumle , (External Member), Director, BOAT(WR)
- Dr. R.S. Mani, (External Member), Executive Director & President (New Initiatives), Tech Nova Imagins System (P) Ltd.
- Dr. Ashok Bhonsale, (External Member), Principal, Vidyavardhini's College of Engineering & Technology,
- Dr. Guruprasad Rao, (External Member), Director, Imaginarium India Pvt. Ltd.
Programme Educational Objectives (PEO)
- Technical Growth - Graduates will be successful in modern engineering practice and entrepreneurship, integrate into the local and global workforce, and contribute to the economy of India.
- Professional Skills - Graduates will continue to acquire and demonstrate the professional skills necessary to be competent employees, assume leadership roles, and enjoy career success and satisfaction.
- Professional Attitude and Citizenship - Graduates will become productive citizens demonstrating high ethical and professional standards, make sound engineering or managerial decisions, and have enthusiasm for the profession and professional growth.
Student Outcomes (SOs):
Graduates of the B.Tech. in Mechanical Engineering program will have an ability to:
- Identify, formulate, and solve complex engineering problems by applying principles of engineering, science, and mathematics.
- Apply engineering design to produce solutions that meet specified needs with consideration of public health, safety, and welfare, as well as global, cultural, social, environmental, and economic factors.
- Communicate effectively with a range of audiences.
- Recognize ethical and professional responsibilities in engineering situations and make informed judgments, which must consider the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal contexts.
- Function effectively on a team whose members together provide leadership, create a collaborative and inclusive environment, establish goals, plan tasks, and meet objectives.
- Develop and conduct appropriate experimentation, analyze and interpret data, and use engineering judgment to draw conclusions.
- Acquire and apply new knowledge as needed, using appropriate learning strategies.
Teaching, Learning And Evaluation
Curriculum for the program includes adequate balance of fundamental / foundation, core and elective courses. The courses are based on a credit structure with 22-26 credit per semester totalling to around 180 credits over for the entire B Tech Program. Every course is assigned lectures, practicals and tutorials as per requirement. Students also undergo technical entrepreneurship and project in the 4th year. The program course content is reviewed every year with industry inputs and participation.
The school encourages students to learn through experiential mode along with class room delivery. The delivery is very actively supported by Black Board Learning Management System (BBLMS). The BBLMS facilitates learning beyond classroom through YouTube and other online content available on the net. Through this innovative teaching and learning process, students have ample opportunity to learn through different modes. The curriculum also emphasises on continuous self-learning.
Evaluation is based on continuous assessment throughout semester with appropriate weightage for in semester work, as well as end semester exams. Different modes of evaluation like open book exam, quiz and viva are available for the faculty to ensure attainment of course and program out-comes as defined above.
To address the ‘ Ý ’Generation needs which expects 24x7 online learning content as a supplement to the classroom learning, several modes of delivery are available, in addition to project based learning, implementation of technology, projects executed in the industry, participation in international competitions, group work etc. This innovation in Pedagogy ensures that students have several learning opportunities matching to their aspirations.
Students completing the program are found to be highly employable due to the innovative teaching – learning process adopted along with different modes of evaluation. Due to the emphasis on continuous self-learning, students are ready to undertake research in different emerging and disrupting technologies. Several opportunities are available to the students to pursue entrepreneurial traits leading to initiation of start-ups.
Labs and Resources
- Mechanical Measurement and Metrology
- Machine Shop
- CAD/CAM Lab
- Hydraulics Lab
- Pneumatic Lab
- Thermal Engineering Lab
- 3D Printing and Prototyping Lab