The Department of Mechanical Engineering at MPSTME, Mumbai established in the year 2010, comprises of 28 full-time faculty members and around 10 full-time administrative and technical support staff. The department offers programs in B. Tech, MBA Tech and B. Tech (Integrated), with over 250 undergraduates on roll. The department has 16 instructional laboratories, equipped with some of the state-of-the-art scientific instruments and systems. Along with ensuring a sound base in fundamentals, over the years it has been the department’s endeavour to keep abreast with the latest advancements in the field. In this vein, the department has cultivated into areas of Composites, Mechatronics, Nanotechnology and Additive Manufacturing. The research work of the faculty members is spread over a vast range of domains, which, can be categorized broadly into three streams: Thermal and Fluids Engineering, Design Engineering, and Manufacturing.
The Bachelor of Technology (B. Tech) in Mechanical Engineering is of 4 years’ duration
Mumbai campus – 60 Seats
- The Four-year B.Tech. Program prepares students in fundamental aspects of Mechanical Engineering, with an appropriate mix of compulsory classroom learnings, laboratory sessions as also, choices for elective courses.
- The primary objective of the B.Tech. program is to train students for various industry opportunities that require background in basic Mechanical Engineering.
- Project-based learning is implemented to improve the education pedagogy, making students more employable in modern manufacturing industries.
- Industry visits and industry based project work have been introduced as part of the curricula, enhancing the Industry-Institute Interface.
To be a centre of excellence in Mechanical Engineering for education and research to create competent Mechanical Engineering graduates who can be employable in the industries and be part of innovation, research, problem solving and entrepreneurship to help mankind in particular and society in general.
- To impart quality education in the field of Mechanical Engineering to the students.
- To provide state of the art facilities to the students to enable them to learn, understand and apply fundamentals of Mechanical Engineering in solving engineering problems.
- Developing relevant curriculum of studies which will cater to the needs of industry and society.
- Promotion of team culture amongst students, faculties and staff to create conducive environment for better interaction with industries and collaborative research and development activities.
Board of Studies
- Dr. Hari Vasudevan, (External Member), Principal, D.J.Sanghavi College of Engineering
- Mr. Pramod Jumle , (External Member), Director, BOAT(WR)
- Dr. R.S. Mani, (External Member), Executive Director & President (New Initiatives), Tech Nova Imagins System (P) Ltd.
- Dr. Ashok Bhonsale, (External Member), Principal, Vidyavardhini's College of Engineering & Technology,
- Dr. Guruprasad Rao, (External Member), Director, Imaginarium India Pvt. Ltd.
Programme Educational Objectives (PEO)
- Technical Growth - Graduates will be successful in modern engineering practice and entrepreneurship, integrate into the local and global workforce, and contribute to the economy of India.
- Professional Skills - Graduates will continue to acquire and demonstrate the professional skills necessary to be competent employees, assume leadership roles, and enjoy career success and satisfaction.
- Professional Attitude and Citizenship - Graduates will become productive citizens demonstrating high ethical and professional standards, make sound engineering or managerial decisions, and have enthusiasm for the profession and professional growth.
Student Outcomes (SOs):
Graduates of the B.Tech. in Mechanical Engineering program will have an ability to:
- Identify, formulate, and solve complex engineering problems by applying principles of engineering, science, and mathematics.
- Apply engineering design to produce solutions that meet specified needs with consideration of public health, safety, and welfare, as well as global, cultural, social, environmental, and economic factors.
- Communicate effectively with a range of audiences.
- Recognize ethical and professional responsibilities in engineering situations and make informed judgments, which must consider the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal contexts.
- Function effectively on a team whose members together provide leadership, create a collaborative and inclusive environment, establish goals, plan tasks, and meet objectives.
- Develop and conduct appropriate experimentation, analyze and interpret data, and use engineering judgment to draw conclusions.
- Acquire and apply new knowledge as needed, using appropriate learning strategies.
Annual Student Enrollment and Graduation data
Teaching, Learning And Evaluation
Curriculum for the program encompasses an effective proportion with regards to fundamental, core and elective subjects. The courses are based on a credit structure with 22-26 credit points per semester totaling to around 180 credit points over the entire four-year B.Tech. Program. Every course has assigned lectures, practical’s and tutorials as per requirement. Students also undergo compulsory technical project work in the 4th year, which, at times, leads them to venture out and experience the entrepreneurial spirit. The program course content is reviewed every year with industry inputs and participation.
The school encourages students to learn through experiential mode along with classroom delivery. The delivery is very actively supported by Online Learning Portal System. The portal facilitates learning beyond classroom through YouTube and other online content available on the net as well as sharing of subject materials with students. Evaluation is based on continuous assessment throughout semester with appropriate weightage for semester work, as well as on final examinations. Different modes of evaluation like submission of assignments, quizzes, viva voce, presentations are available for the faculty to ensure attainment of course and defined program outcomes.
To address the present generation that demands technology aided learning resources and 24 hours’ content availability, department has ensured to advance updated learning modalities and novel pedagogical methods including LMS, Project based learning, industry projects, Smart board classroom learning etc. Along with that students are offered opportunities like participation in International competitions to hone their skills and develop confidence and team spirit.
- 1. Mechanical Workshop
2. Machine Shop
3. I C Engine
5. Thermal Engineering & Thermodynamics
6. Fluid Machinery
7. Refrigeration & Air-conditioning
8. Mechanical Measurement & Metrology
9. Material Engineering
12. PLC & Sensorics
13. Mechatronics & Robotics
14. Vibration Engineering / Theory of Machine
15. Strength of Material
16. 3 D Printing Lab