Dr. (Mrs) Usha Ghosh
Associate Professor, Head Chemical Engineering Department
Ph.D. (Polypeptide Chemistry)
Areas of Specialization
Synthetic organic, organometallic, process, medicinal and polypeptide chemistry
Academic and Professional Qualification:
Ph.D. (Polypeptide Chemistry); M.Sc. (Chemistry)
Honors and Awards:
- Research fellow award from Department of Science and Technology (DST) new Delhi worked at Bio-organic Division, Bhabha Atomic Research Center, Mumbai, India
- Post-doctoral research fellow worked with Prof. Ian Fleming, FRS in the Department of Chemistry, University of Cambridge, UK
- Post-doctoral research fellow worked and with Prof. John A. Katzenellenbogen in the Department of Chemistry, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, USA
- Best research paper presentation awards at national and international forum
Engineering Chemistry, Applied chemistry, Drug Discovery, chemical processes , stereochemistry, spectroscopy and Food processing
- Working since 2014 as Associate Professor (Chemistry) at Chemical Engineering department.
- Worked as lecturer (1985-1987) in R.J. College, Ghatkopar, Mumbai University
- Worked as Senior Group Leader (2006-2013) Piramal Enterprises Limited, 1, Nirlon complex, Off Western Express Highway, Goregaon (East), Mumbai.
- Worked as Group Leader (2004-2006) Nicholas Piramal Research Centre, 1, Nirlon complex, Off Western Express Highway, Goregaon (East), Mumbai.
- Worked as Senior Research Scientist (2001-2004), Quest Institute of Lifesciences, Mulund, Mumbai.
- Worked as Assistant Manager (1995-1999), Nicholas Piramal India Ltd., (Formerly, Roche Products Ltd.) Vitamin & Fine Chemicals Division, Balkum, Thane.
- Worked as Executive-Organic Synthesis (1994-1995), Sun Pharmaceutical Advanced Research Centre, Akota Road, Baroda.
Administrative roles in the school/University:
Organizing seminar, workshop, industrial visit and guest lectures for faculties and students developments. Maintaining all department related activities and assets.
Development of new methodology for Polypeptide Synthesis and its characterization.
- Heavy metals removal from waste water using the low cost adsorbents (nanoparticles and nano composites) from agricultural waste
- Creating smart surfaces on metal by grafting method using living polymerization
- Organic synthesis and mechanistic investigation for new methods, Multi-component reactions, Heterocyclic chemistry, Asymmetric catalysis, enzymatic resolution, microwaves assisted chemical synthesis
- Drug discovery chemistry including computer assisted design (structure and ligand based) followed by synthesis of focused compound libraries
- Design and development of benign and eco-efficient processes for bulk intermediates, pharmaceuticals, fine chemicals
- With Mahesh R. Kulkarni, Madhav S. Mane, Rajiv Sharma, Nitin P. Lad, Ankita Srivastava, Asha Kulkarni-Almeida, Prashant S. Kharkar, Vijay M. Khedkar, Shivaji S. Pandit; European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, Volume 134, 7 July 2017, Pages 366-378. Discovery of tetrahydrocarbazoles as dual pERK and pRb inhibitors.
- With Smriti Khanna, Chandrika B-Rao, Asha-Almeida , Rajiv Sharma; Biointerface Research in Applied Chemistry, Volume 6, Issue 4, 2016, 1422-1427 Discriminating between active and inactive compounds using binding energy calculations-a case study.
- With K. Bajaj, S. Burudkar, P. Shah, A. Keche, P. Tannu, S. Khanna, A. Srivastava, N. J. Deshmukh, A. Dixit, Y. Ahire, A. Damre, K. V.S. Nemmani, A. Kulkarni-Almeida, C. B-Rao, R. Sharma, H. Sivaramakrishnan, Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry Letters, 2013, 23, 834-838; Lead optimization of isocytosine-derived xanthine oxidase inhibitors.
- With S. Khanna, S. Burudkar, K. Bajaj, P. Shah, A. Keche, A. Desai, A. Srivastava, A. Kulkarni-Almeida, N. J. Deshmukh, A. Dixit, M. K. Brahma, U. Bahirat, L. Doshi, K.r V.S. Nemmani, P. Tannu, A. Damre, C. B-Rao, R. Sharma, H. Sivaramakrishn, Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry Letters, 2012, 22, 7543-7546; Isocytosine-based inhibitors of xanthine oxidase: Design, synthesis, SAR, PK and in vivo efficacy in rat model of hyperuricemia
- With C. B-Rao, A. Kulkarni-Almeida, K. V. Katkar, S. Khanna, A. Keche, P. Shah, A. Srivastava, V. Korde, K. V.S. Nemmani, N. J. Deshmukh, A. Dixit, M. K. Brahma, U. Bahirat, L. Doshi, R. Sharma, H. Sivaramakrishnan, Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry, 2012, 20, 2930-2939; Identification of novel isocytosine derivatives as xanthine oxidase inhibitors from a set of virtual screening hits.
International Conferences: 24 (International – 11, National - 13)
Patents – 05 (PCT Granted)
Presentations – 5